Saturday, August 11, 2007

Give the Gift of Photos


One of the greatest gifts you can give your children, grandchildren, and your grandchildren's pets, is photos taken today that they can explore decades from now.

My dad's family, in Vienna, often went to portrait studios, and my father saved the pictures. He would have been 101 this week, and we still have this photo taken when he was seven:


It is my job is to please my clients, make "nice" or "dramatic" or "artsy" images.

The part of the job that you may never know about, or never think about, is that we are creating presents, a treasure chest of captured emotions and relationships, for ourselves and our descendends to view year after year.

A grand child whom you will never meet will be looking at the pictures you and I created.

That's one of the reasons that I am so careful with the quality of my work. These images will be treasures for your family, they are going to store them carefully, display them lovingly. They will be the window through which they will look into who you were, how you felt, today. What a shame if that picture is a snapshot, a poorly lit portrait, an image without feeling.

Allow me, help me, give a gift to your grand children and great grandchildren.

No comments: